[RndTbl] Learning a little about /etc/hosts

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 10:12:43 CDT 2010

On 10-08-09 10:01 AM, John Lange wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 17:13 -0500, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
>
>> 	The teacher at the lab is absolutely sold on the idea of using the
>> hosts file to block out places like porn sites, gambling sites,
>> facebook, and places like the pirate bay. For classroom machines I can
>> see his point. Particularly since they are going through a different
>> subnet than we are.
>
> I don't think I can agree with this strategy. It would take about 2
> seconds for the user to delete their hosts file thereby defeating the
> blocking. The reality is there is always a way around the filters but
> but blocking at the firewall at least in theory prevents users from
> disabling it.

	The firewall used in the classroom is out of our control. The building
IT folks are trying to keep on top of it. The actual lab itself is in a
separate room and we can control that firewall.

	Essentially the teacher maintains a copy of the hosts file on a USB
stick. He reinstalls it every noon and just before he leaves.

> Another problem I see with manipulating "hosts" is that you'd have to
> maintain it on every machine which seems like a lot of work.

	Yup. Sure is. Especially since the building blocks sites like Youtube
and Google/Yahoo images.

				Later
				Mike