[RndTbl] Learning a little about /etc/hosts

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Aug 9 10:19:44 CDT 2010

Interesting mental exercise - the most comprehensive way around that filtering technique is simply to delete the hosts file (or edit it, I suppose).
But if it were somehow made immutable, how would I get around it?
Ignoring the difficulty of doing so under Winsock32, I think I would run a transparent http proxy server bound to localhost that did its own DNS without relying on the system libs... Hmm, that sounds exactly like the win32 port of squid.
-Adam