[RndTbl] Got a loan of a computer until September - Playing with Ubuntu Server 10.4

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 13:10:58 CDT 2010

On 10-08-14 11:43 PM, Robert Keizer wrote:
> On 10-08-14 10:16 PM, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
>> 	I tried to display a PHP test file and ran into problems. It seems it
>> only works fine in the system directory but not for users. This is the
>> same problem I was having with OS X (10.4) last year. It wants to send
>> the file as a download. The documentation I've read today seems to be
>> out of date and makes some assumptions. For example, that I'm running
>> Windows, the software isn't already there. That sort of thing. Even the
>> documentation from Canonical wasn't very helpful (I spent most of the
>> day reading the 8.04 documentation without realising it). They also
>> assumed I had to download the software even though it was on their ISO.
>> I know I'm missing a setting somewhere. Probably in the
>> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file. It probably has to be a 30 second fix.
>> Would someone happen to know it off the top of their head?
>>

> Try a2enmod php5
>
>> 	I'd like to set up Python as well. The language is installed. I want to
>> hold off installing it until I can get PHP working. If someone could
>> point me to some documentation for that too it will help a lot.
>>

> apt-cache search mod_python
>
> a2enmod
>
> All the best,
> Robert

	Thanks for the info. Here is what I get...

mike at scoundrel:~$ sudo a2enmod php5
[sudo] password for mike:
Module php5 already enabled
mike at scoundrel:~$ sudo apt-cache search mod_python
libapache2-mod-python - Python-embedding module for Apache 2
libapache2-mod-python-doc - Python-embedding module for Apache 2 -
documentation
libapache2-mod-wsgi - Python WSGI adapter module for Apache
python-albatross - Toolkit for Stateful Web Applications
python-albatross-doc - documentation for the Albatross Web Toolkit
python-apache-openid - OpenID consumer module for Apache
python-cherrypy3 - Python web development framework - version 3
python-myghtyutils - Set of utility classes used by Myghty templating
mike at scoundrel:~$ sudo a2enmod python
ERROR: Module python does not exist!
mike at scoundrel:~$ sudo a2enmod mod_python
ERROR: Module mod_python does not exist!
mike at scoundrel:~$ sudo a2enmod libapache2-mod-python
ERROR: Module libapache2-mod-python does not exist!
mike at scoundrel:~$ a2enmod
Your choices are: actions alias asis auth_basic auth_digest authn_alias
authn_anon authn_dbd authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authnz_ldap
authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner
authz_user autoindex cache cern_meta cgi cgid charset_lite dav dav_fs
dav_lock dbd deflate dir disk_cache dump_io env expires ext_filter
file_cache filter headers ident imagemap include info ldap log_forensic
mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation php5 proxy proxy_ajp
proxy_balancer proxy_connect proxy_ftp proxy_http proxy_scgi reqtimeout
rewrite setenvif speling ssl status substitute suexec unique_id userdir
usertrack version vhost_alias
Which module(s) do you want to enable (wildcards ok)?
^C
mike at scoundrel:~$

	Here is the list of available modules...

actions.conf      authn_dbd.load        authz_owner.load
charset_lite.load  dir.load         headers.load       mem_cache.load
  proxy_ajp.load       reqtimeout.load  substitute.load
actions.load      authn_dbm.load        authz_user.load   dav_fs.conf
      disk_cache.conf  ident.load         mime.conf
proxy_balancer.load  rewrite.load     suexec.load
alias.conf        authn_default.load    autoindex.conf    dav_fs.load
      disk_cache.load  imagemap.load      mime.load         proxy.conf
          setenvif.conf    unique_id.load
alias.load        authn_file.load       autoindex.load    dav.load
      dump_io.load     include.load       mime_magic.conf
proxy_connect.load   setenvif.load    userdir.conf
asis.load         authnz_ldap.load      cache.load        dav_lock.load
      env.load         info.conf          mime_magic.load
proxy_ftp.load       speling.load     userdir.load
auth_basic.load   authz_dbm.load        cern_meta.load    dbd.load
      expires.load     info.load          negotiation.conf
proxy_http.load      ssl.conf         usertrack.load
auth_digest.load  authz_default.load    cgid.conf         deflate.conf
      ext_filter.load  ldap.load          negotiation.load  proxy.load
          ssl.load         version.load
authn_alias.load  authz_groupfile.load  cgid.load         deflate.load
      file_cache.load  log_forensic.load  php5.conf
proxy_scgi.load      status.conf      vhost_alias.load
authn_anon.load   authz_host.load       cgi.load          dir.conf
      filter.load      mem_cache.conf     php5.load
reqtimeout.conf      status.load

	This is the list of those enabled...

alias.conf       authn_file.load       authz_host.load  autoindex.load
deflate.load  env.load   negotiation.conf  php5.load        rewrite.load
   status.conf   userdir.load
alias.load       authz_default.load    authz_user.load  cgi.load
dir.conf      mime.conf  negotiation.load  reqtimeout.conf
setenvif.conf  status.load
auth_basic.load  authz_groupfile.load  autoindex.conf   deflate.conf
dir.load      mime.load  php5.conf         reqtimeout.load
setenvif.load  userdir.conf

	Based on the documentation I've been able to find I shouldn't have
missed anything with PHP. I don't see anything there with Python though.
Come to think of it I don't see anything there for PERL either.

	One of those days I suspect I shouldn't have gotten out of bed...

				Later
				Mike