[RndTbl] Question about Laptops

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Dec 24 16:24:07 CST 2010

On 2010-12-24 Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
> 	Merry Christmas and happy holidays (what ever works for you -
> you never know). ;-)
>
> 	My father had decided to look at a laptop. He wants to put
> his family tree program on it and take it for a trip out East this
> spring. He has seen me running Linux on my desktop for years and
> thinks he would like to give it a try on the laptop. Even in a
> dual-boot configuration. Being cheap (a typical Winnipegger) he is
> only willing to spend $200 -$300 for the machine. There are some

Most in that range will be netbooks.  Even cheapo 4-yo technology
notebooks are still around $400-500+ on sale.  Make sure he knows the
difference as netbooks can be disappointing if that's not what you
really want.

> 	The question is what are some good brands and locations to
> scope out?

Buy today's Free Press and go flyer frolicking!  Surely there will be
some crazy BD blowouts.  As for brands, the entire world except for
Acer, that's my humble opinion based on selling computers for 13 years!