[RndTbl] Question about Laptops

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 19:00:13 CST 2010

On 10-12-24 06:38 PM, Robert Dyck wrote:
> My sister's fiancé bought a used Dell Latitude C600 for her daughter. The
> display hinge broke on the right side. I worked for Powerland Computers at
> the time, and they had a large selection of old laptops through recycling.
> The reason they keep them is replacement parts for repairs. But they didn't
> have a replacement hinge for that model. For one thing corporate customers
> who provided a lot of the broken or obsolete laptops didn't buy that model,
> but more importantly that model has a weak hinge that breaks a lot. I since
> found a website with a description how to fix the hinge using sheet metal
> and glue, but when buying one you are better off avoiding that model. The
> Dell Inspiron had rugged hinges, the problem was specific to the Latitude
> C600.
>
> At Powerland we had a few customers bring in laptops for repair. One
> customer brought in an Asus Atom with a solid state "drive". There was
> nothing we could do to fix it. To ensure the netbook is easy to repair (read
> "not expensive"), choose a one that has a normal laptop hard drive, and an
> access door on the bottom to get at it. Older laptops and some new netbooks
> have the hard drive under the keyboard, requiring significant dismantling to
> get at it. Powerland charged $60 per hour for laptop repairs, so the more
> time it takes a technician to repair it the more it will cost you. For my
> home based business I charge $30 per hour for any computer work, and no
> sales tax, but you still want to keep that down. Besides, the only laptop
> replacement parts I have in stock is one mini-IDE hard drive, two really old
> LCD displays, and one not-quite-as-old dismantled laptop. I have to find
> parts for any other repair.
>
> Just some hints from the repair guy.
>
> Rob Dyck

	I just had another person respond about the Asus being a good machine.
I'll remember the information about the Latitude C600 when my father
checks things out.

	It's interesting to hear your opinion about the SSD. They are generally
twice the cost of an actual hard drive so I wasn't actually considering
it in a cheap laptop. It's one of those things on the "wish list" to try
out in a desktop first. Since it's going to be my fathers machine I
think he'll take your suggestion.

	The machine Hamish has is a nice little machine. The only problem is
the same one he had. Namely he had to spend the additional $200 to make
it useful. Bigger hard drive and more RAM to run the newest Mac
applications and VirtualBox.

				Later
				Mike