[RndTbl] new phone passes 250dpi mark

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Feb 25 23:06:53 CST 2010

Apparently the new Google Nexus One phone made by HTC has a 400x800 OLED
display that works out to 252.15 pixels per inch - while the iPhone 3GS
has a pretty high-res display, I think this is a new record for a
production, mainstream product.

Other than backlighting-related issues (causing eye fatigue faster than
reflective displays) this would probably make a pretty darn good e-book
reader.  And phone.  And music player.  And almost everything else.

FYI, it comes with a 1GHz CPU.  Sure, it's not going to be a great CPU
but 1GHz is also, AFAIK, a new record in the standard phone form-factor.

What I find interesting is that it took us almost twenty years to come
out with a reasonably-available high-resolution display again.  IBM had
a (approx.) 200dpi display available in the early '90s.  I think they
sold well into the double-digit unit quantities :-).  (It was probably
still profitable - I remember the unit price being around $160k at the
time.)  Since then, mainstream displays ramped from 75dpi up to 100dpi
fairly quickly - and stayed there for 15 years.  Almost every LCD you
can buy today (excluding "digital signage" models) is between 96dpi and
108dpi.

Oh, and the phone is Android-based - which means it's running on Linux.

-Adam