[RndTbl] high-power 802.11g router recommendations?

Daryl F wyatt at prairieturtle.ca
Fri Jul 2 15:28:49 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, Adam Thompson wrote:

> Looking for recommendations for a wireless router than has better-than-usual range.
>
> I’ve used the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with good results, but they’re basically impossible to find locally.
>
> I’ve also now experienced the D-Link DIR-825’s pathetic range, not sure I want to trust D-Link’s RangeBooster line without first-hand recommendations.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> -Adam

I can't really recommended one device over another but I will share
something I learned about increasing range: most wireless router firmware
shipped to/produced in Canada adheres to FCC standards which requires a
lower radiated power than CRTC allows. CRTC follows Europe. If there is
European firmware available for the router you choose, use it. It may give
you more output power without risking any damage to the device.

-Daryl