[RndTbl] Mint 10 installs (First impressions)

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 15:40:02 CST 2010

	Quick impression for Mint 10. Like Mint 9 it is still a derivative of
Ubuntu (I don't think it's running Unity though). On the machines at the
lab it was pretty fast. Given those machines are at least five years old
that's saying something. Compared to Mint 9 it is slightly slower.
According to their web page most of the changes are superficial apart
from additional codecs. It looks like they've put some effort into the
eye-candy. The green is gone and replaced with grey. Given what was
installed in Mint 9, I'd say this is more of something for the end user
as opposed to a developer. This is something you could show off to the
boss for their home machine.

	Since it was just released on Friday I haven't had much of a chance to
stress it any. If anyone is looking to get it, connecting to their web
site may take a few tries. Given the connection issues, my suggestion is
to grab the torrent files for download. They take less than an hour for
the DVD at this point. There is also a CD version which is slightly
smaller than the DVD version.

				Later
				Mike