[RndTbl] TV tuner cards

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Nov 14 16:29:21 CST 2010

Sadly, HD Cable and Digital Tuner cards do not work together in Canada.  In the US, there's a federal standard called CableCard that neither Industry Canada nor the CRTC was interested in, so each cableco here is free do do whatever they want.  And they pretty much all encrypt 100% of their digital traffic.

The best you can do here is get a Shaw HD terminal, a FrameGrabber that supports Component Video input, and an IR blaster.

MTS TV users have the same issue, BTW.

In 2012, our TV stations must switch to HD OTA broadcasts, at that point you'll be able to use an ATSC tuner card.

-Adam