[RndTbl] TV tuner cards

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 19:39:45 CST 2010

On 10-11-14 04:29 PM, Adam Thompson wrote:
> Sadly, HD Cable and Digital Tuner cards do not work together in
> Canada.  In the US, there's a federal standard called CableCard that
> neither Industry Canada nor the CRTC was interested in, so each
> cableco here is free do do whatever they want.  And they pretty much
> all encrypt 100% of their digital traffic.

	The worst possible situation... Although the consumer pays for a
product, they can't use it.

> The best you can do here is get a Shaw HD terminal, a FrameGrabber
> that supports Component Video input, and an IR blaster.

	In a sense that kind of defeats the purpose of going digital. If the
signal has to be converted to analogue at some point it's really not the
same. Granted the quality is going to be better than the analogue cable
(which presumably would work fine) it still won't be completely digital.

> MTS TV users have the same issue, BTW.

	The bastards!!! ;-)

> In 2012, our TV stations must switch to HD OTA broadcasts, at that
> point you'll be able to use an ATSC tuner card.

	That will just be for the OTA stuff. I've been trying to follow what
was happening. That and Superstore is selling the OTA digital boxes in
the bargain bins. I've heard a few things which may or may not be good
for Winnipeg. Namely the VHF spectrum (longer range) is no longer in use
but the UHF spectrum (shorter range - no skip) is now used by OTA TV.
I'd have to wonder if anybody has tried to get any current OTA TV from
the States here in town. The thing is even a weak signal should still
mean the station is visible.

	After all this I'd think the cable companies, CRTC, and the government
were trying to kill off certain components of the computer hardware
industry. It's not as if the cable companies aren't getting paid for
their products. Also it's not as if they can't control what an
individual house can access either. All they are doing is telling the
consumer where to spend their money. It just sounds mean spirited to me.

	Maybe I should start looking at the FTA stuff a little earlier than
expected...

> -Adam

				Later
				Mike