[RndTbl] Linux patching best practices

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Mon Nov 29 16:55:39 CST 2010

In theory, regression testing is what you get when you use the the
licensed versions of RedHat and Suse etc. so if your asking those
kinds of questions you might want to use a licensed version.

But I'm wondering what other people on this list think about that answer?

>From my personal perspective, on our licensed versions of SLES as well
as my desktop OpenSUSE I allow auto-update of everything that does not
require a reboot.

Since I'm stuck with proprietary ATI drivers on my laptop, if I allow
auto-kernel updates my display stops working. On servers, unscheduled
unsupervised rebooting is not a good idea so better to plan those
updates.

--
John Lange
www.johnlange.ca