[RndTbl] Shaw packet loss

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Tue Oct 19 11:07:26 CDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Mike Pfaiffer <high.res.mike at gmail.com>wrote:

>        Give it a try. Grab a movie or something. Use a bittorrent client
> capable of capping the up and down speed. Ktorrent can do this. See what
> you can get for both up and down uncapped. Then try running say Firefox
> and look at its performance. Stop the bittorrent transfer and look at
> Firefox again in a few minutes. Set up a cap in bittorrent say 10K on
> both the up and down (bear in mind this is supposed to be a
> multi-megabit connection). Restart your bittorrent and see what happens
> with Firefox. You'll notice the bittorrent will transfer to what ever
> maximum you set while other programs will barely function on the
> internet. Local transfers on the LAN are fine though.

Like you, I haven't done any formal testing, but my wife has uT going non
stop and I haven't had any problems with my download speed unless she
forgets to cap her upstream. uT is running forced encryption, FWIW.

It's almost a certainty that Shaw has DPI policies dealing with torrent. I'm
not disputing what you're seeing, but correlation does not equal causation.

As a start, try doing some Wireshark I/O graphs on the various streams with
and without a torrent running. Do the bandwidth of the non torrent flows
change? Is there a change in the TCP setup times? Are ACK packets being
delayed? Are you seeing loss?

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/