[RndTbl] Mac as a web server

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Wed Sep 15 15:32:53 CDT 2010

On 09/15/2010 02:56 PM, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
> 	Now for the request for some advice...
>
> 	If I were running an Intel Mac I would just install a virtual machine
> with Ubuntu server or something similar and be done with it.
> Unfortunately the G4 is a PPC and not an Intel box.
>
> 	Does anybody have any advice on where to proceed from here? The Mac
> Ports idea might be worth a look if I can somehow point the default
> server away from Apache 1.3 to 2.x. Running MAMP may have some merit
> since I can change the default port to 80. Unfortunately Webmin wants to
> run on a different port and defaults back to Apache 1.3. I could install
> *BSD but I think that's a little more involved than I want to get at
> this point.

You can try macports, fink or homebrew to install it, all of them will
compile the whole shebang on your machine, but the MAMP bundle that you
downloaded already has a standard apache, mysql and php.

You should be able to edit the ports by clicking on MAMP.app
Preferences... Ports and changing apache to 80 and mysql to 3306. You
can also just edit the conf files in /Applications/MAMP/conf.

You can start and stop mysql and apache from the command line with:
sudo /Applications/MAMP/bin/startApache.sh etc.

Peter

http://macports.org
http://finkproject.org
http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/