[RndTbl] Mac as a web server

Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson helgi at binary.is
Wed Sep 15 15:16:05 CDT 2010

Hi!

I don't know if this is much of a help, but you can easily run Linux on a G4
Mac. I'm running it as a personal server at home on an ancient G4 laptop.
Debian in particular is particularly apathetic to CPUs, you just put in the
CD and install as if it were any other kind of computer, which is why I use
it on my PowerPC "personal server" machines... well, also because Debian
simply kicks a$$.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.6/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-506-powerpc-netinst.iso

Sorry if this is just ignoring everything you're trying to do, but I figured
it was worth a mention. :) - I'm afraid you'll always have problems running
the most recent versions of PHP/Apache/MySQL on a PowerPC Mac OS X
installation unless you compile them from source, but I'm not sure how
problematic that would be on Mac OS X in general. Apple tends to fiddle
around a lot with the environment and GCC, often resulting in broken
compilations from source, so I'm guessing you're up for a lot of long-term
problems sticking to Mac OS 10.4.

Long story short, if losing Mac OS X is indeed an option, Debian is
definitely the way to go with a PowerPC machine.

Hope it helps and apologies if it doesn't. ;)

Kind regards,
Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson
helgi at binary.is