[RndTbl] Mac as a web server

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 17:47:28 CDT 2010

On 10-09-15 05:14 PM, Dan Martin wrote:
> Hi Mike
>
> The curse of *nix users everywhere is dependency hell, and I've had
> my share.

	Yup. Me too. Especially in the early days of Red Hat (pre-enterprise).

> I have not done what you're trying to do, but I would second Peter's
> suggestion to use MacPorts or Fink.

	My response to him didn't make it to the mailing list. He also said the
software was already installed with MAMP. A couple of minutes ago I
realised I didn't check out the web server without going through the
default port for Webmin. I tried it and found it was bringing up the old
Apache 1.3 web page (or does it... - Hmm). Anyhow, if I add /MAMP/ to
the end of the system address it brings up what MAMP considers to be the
default system page. phpinfo() shows everything up and running properly.
I ought to give it a try at the system level and see if it works there
too...

	My experience with MacPorts has been pretty good on a different Mac. It
only failed once.

> I have installed several *nix things on my Mac, the most recent being
> GnuPlot on Snow Leopard.  Being a slow learner, I spent a couple
> hours duplicating what someone at a web site had done (I'm sure with
> a different Mac OS and different vintage software) using install and
> make to compile the dependencies from zipped sources.

	Depending on what I find out I may consider using MacPorts to update
the software I want.

> When it failed, I used MacPorts, and had it running within minutes.
> Darwin does some weird stuff with some of the dependencies.

	I installed a couple of packages on a Mac Mini. The dependencies made
the compile take a couple of hours. Also considering this is a G4 it may
take a while for all this too...

> A long time ago I had similar experiences with Suse and Red Hat.  If
> the package manager (in your case MacPorts or Fink) does not have a
> port for the software you're looking for (and MacPorts has a lot), at
> least install as many dependencies as you can from the package
> manager before you go to the direct compilation route.

	I'm pretty sure MacPorts has the software I want. The question is how
to replace the default which comes from Apple. Particularly Apache. Then
again I may already have solved my own problem (minus Webmin) and not
realise it.

> -Dan

				Later
				Mike

P.S. Sorry I didn't say hi last night. It's just I've been getting
REALLY tired over the last few years and things don't seem to come to
the front of my mind the way they used to.

> On 2010-09-15, at 4:49 PM, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
>
>> On 10-09-15 03:16 PM, Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is much of a help, but you can easily run
>>> Linux on a G4 Mac. I'm running it as a personal server at home on
>>> an ancient G4 laptop. Debian in particular is particularly
>>> apathetic to CPUs, you just put in the CD and install as if it
>>> were any other kind of computer, which is why I use it on my
>>> PowerPC "personal server" machines... well, also because Debian
>>> simply kicks a$$.
>>>
>>> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.6/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-506-powerpc-netinst.iso

That's an option I will absolutely consider. Since it's a G4 there