[RndTbl] SSH

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 18:33:25 CDT 2010

On 10-09-15 05:40 PM, Robert Dyck wrote:
> If you're looking for something to do, Mike, I still need help getting my
> Windows ME machine to log onto Ubuntu server 9 using an authentication key.
> As I said before, I downloaded and installed WinSCP on my Windows ME
> machine, and have SSH on the Ubuntu server. No matter if I generate the keys
> on the Ubutu server, or with WinSCP, the server rejects the authentication
> key. This is so I can have tight security on the web server, while
> physically locating it at a remote site with a high speed internet
> connection while managing it from my home office.
>
> Rob Dyck

	I've been thinking about that. I guess the links I sent didn't help...
Did you and Lindsay say you missed your messages with the links from a
month ago? I could re-send them if you can't find the message.

	Just to be thorough, dig out your Mac and go into your hard drive -->
Applications --> Utilities and run Terminal (you may also want to put
this on your dashboard). Do an ssh to your server from there. If you can
then go into your System Preferences --> Sharing --> Services (tab) and
enable Remote Login. This enables you to ssh into your Mac. Try going
the other way from your Ubuntu box to the Mac. Then from your ME box to
the Mac. This way we can determine if it is a problem with ssh, the
Ubuntu box, or the ME box. I think your guess about the key is the
issue. I'd like to be sure we aren't chasing down a different problem
first. The thing is if it works on the Mac and not the ME box then we
can be pretty sure the problem isn't with your procedures. If it doesn't
work with either machine then that's another story.

	Another thing to try is a program called putty. As I recall it is kind
of like cygwin in that it can provide you with an ssh terminal (as well
as other useful utilities for the *NIX world). I think scp is more of a
file transfer program. If the keys aren't already working before running
scp I don't know if it will work. This is why you may want to try using
an ssh terminal first.

	I'm not an ssh expert. The only thing I've done with it lately is to
open a remote shell on a different computer. I wonder if it would be
worth while to ask if someone could do a "Sesame Street" level, hands on
demo for the MWCS in October (the MUUG folks are always welcome to join
us in St. James). Maybe as part of the hands on part we could see what
can be done with your machines. Before that we have to be sure of the
exact problem.

				Later
				Mike