[RndTbl] Mac as a web server - part 2

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 20:27:59 CDT 2010

	One of those moments you get every so often. I fixed the problem
without realising it... This brings up several more interesting problems.

1) Webmin is still reporting it is running from Apache 1.3 yet every
other indicator says Apache 2 is running.

	Could Webmin be reading the information from the default configuration
files instead of probing Apache directly?

	Could I use Webmin to point to the MAMP configuration files instead?

	If so would this mean Apache 2 would start by default instead of Apache
1.3? Specifically, no start-up script needed...

	By changing the Apache module configuration in Webmin, could I
accidentally "mangle" the system?

	Now I KNOW everything is running, would a reinstall of Webmin be
appropriate or should I go through the manual alteration I mentioned
earlier?

	Is there a better administration program than Webmin? I suppose I could
ssh in to the machine but everything is collected into one spot with Webmin.

2) I wanted to check out the system web page (http://192.168.x.y) after
some changes and it no longer comes up.

	When I wanted to see if I could get a "<?php phpinfo() ?>" script
running I renamed some file in the system area. The default web page no
longer comes up. How would I get it back? Yes the files were renamed
back to the way they were and restarting the server didn't do anything.

	Suppose I wanted a different system page. How would I set it up in
MAMP? Normally I would have an index.html or index.php in the system
directory.

3) As it is, all the web pages are stored under the MAMP directory.

	This is not such a big deal since in the preferences I can specify
another location. However I might like to have different users on the
machine at a later date. Is there a way to specify multiple directories?
I suppose I could edit some of the files manually if I had to. Comparing
this with Ubuntu server, the process should be trivial if I knew where
to look.

	I would like to remove the "/MAMP" from all URLs pointing to the
server. How? I haven't found a method of doing so yet. The closest thing
I found is messing around with the hosts file and a number of problems
were pointed out at that point.

***

	At that point I think the Mac could be said to be the equivalent to
Ubuntu server... The process isn't difficult. It's just a matter of how
you know where you are in the process. I'll start playing around with
the Apache module in Webmin when I'm a little more awake. No need to
risk making dumb mistakes.

				Later
				Mike