[RndTbl] IPv6 only diet followed by presentation?

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Jul 10 21:05:56 CDT 2011

> From: roundtable-bounces at muug.mb.ca [mailto:roundtable-
> bounces at muug.mb.ca] On Behalf Of Mark Jenkins
>
> I've been playing with IPv6 for a few years now, recently
> participated as both an end user and service provider on IPv6 day
> (June 8). Have recently been thinking about putting myself on an
> IPv6 only diet at both work and home to try and break my addiction
> to news and articles on the web so I can get some real work done.
> (most of my favourite time killer web sites don't have ipv6
> enabled; the AAAA records are not even available in the name server
> my tunnel broker uses which does successfully query records
> unavailable to most like google.ca AAAA)

FYI, one of the FreeBSD developers attempted to go IPv4-less, and did a
presentation about it at BSDCan this year.

Short version: the stack is ready, the apps REALLY, BADLY aren't ready.

"Why do apps matter?", you wonder... any code that uses struct inetaddr is
automatically IPv4-only.  Any code that calls gethostbyname() et al. is
IPv4-only (because that uses struct inetaddr).  Then there's the truly
weird bugs that crop up in otherwise-IPv6-enabled apps when they don't
have a valid PF_INET to fall back upon.

There's a link to the audio recording of Bjorn's talk at
http://www.bsdcan.org/2011/schedule/events/222.en.html.

Given that most of his problems were app-related, I can't see Linux being
any better.  Nor, for that matter, Windows or Mac OS X - at least at this
point in time.

(FWIW, he wasn't any easier to understand in person...)

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net