[RndTbl] Partitioning in Linux

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon Jul 11 15:59:33 CDT 2011

On 2011-06-08 Kevin McGregor wrote:
> Is that optimal? Recommended? Some would say that /home, /tmp, /var
> and others should reside in separate partitions/filesystems.
> Discuss. :-)

Better late than never...

I've recently come to the conclusion that for most stuff I do, skip
LVM.  LVM was great when resize2fs and gparted didn't exist.  But with
those tools now being so advanced, everything I cared to use LVM for is
now handled in a much simpler way.

If you use LVM and still want to do resize type things in a way that
LVM can't do (ran into this recently) then it's a major pain to work
around LVM to use simple resize2fs commands.

That said, I still use the boot/root/swap 3 partition setup, as Fedora
still likes it that way.  Maybe separate boot isn't required anymore,
but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

On my personal systems I do some other wacky stuff for performance
reasons (splitting things on different disks for parallelism).  So no
harm to having separate /tmp or /var/spool/squid if disks permit.

If it's a system I care about, I'll do md RAID[16].  If it's a less
important system (living room mythtv comp) then I'll just do 1 disk.