[RndTbl] isostick - the optical drive in a usb stick

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sat Jul 30 00:53:38 CDT 2011

You don't have to burn an (arbitrary) ISO image onto optical media before
booting it.  Yes, ISOLINUX-based ISO images can be converted to USB easily
enough, but it's not generally possible to do so with arbitrary El Torito
images.

I don't always have a burner, blank media, a USB CD-ROM drive, and enough
(or high-power-enough) USB ports to plug said drive in.  This lets me boot
any ISO image with nothing more than any standard USB1.1+ port, assuming
the computer can boot off a USB CD-ROM drive in the first place.

When re-provisioning an older Dell server recently, for example, this
would have saved me almost an entire day's worth of time.

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net
 (204) 291-7950 - direct
 (204) 489-6515 - fax