[RndTbl] Speech recognition

Mike pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 14:17:02 CDT 2011

On 11-03-15 12:02 PM, Dan Martin wrote:
> Did you find anything suitable, Mike?

	There are some commercial products which appear to be acceptable for M$
and the Mac. Still having hardware problems with my Linux box (going to
replace my boot drive this evening) so I haven't tried anything there.

> I am interested in speech recognition for the Mac.  I think you
> answered my question about the system speech recognition (limited
> vocabulary).  I am looking for something that could be used with
> software that I write, that would have to have a very large /
> expandable vocablulary.  I don't want to have to cut and paste from
> another app (eg, microsoft word) to my app that I'm going to
> develope.

	The last time I tried the built in speech recognition was with 10.4. I
haven't tried it with 10.6 yet. With 10.4 you could build up your own
vocabulary one word at a time. As I mentioned, there is already a
non-free vocabulary file as an expansion pack. With only a couple of GB
free on my hard drive I can see where either solution would be a problem.

	Also, since I've recently been told I have a slight French/German
accent I am somewhat concerned about using an expansion pack.

> Ideally, I would be able to choose the vocabulary and have different
> vocablularies, depending on context.

	I can't speak for the commercial products. However, as I recall the
built in software allows for only one vocabulary file. I gather it is
just a simple speech to word translation without context sensitivity. It
would be nice to have it be a little more intelligent. Specifically
realising the difference between the up arrow and the word "up".

	The last time I looked, the vocabulary file was a simple structure but
a pain in the back-side if you wanted to add a lot of words. At first I
was thinking about catting a dictionary into the file but I didn't have
one handy and then thought it was a lot of work.

> -Dan

				Later
				Mike