[RndTbl] vsftp not connecting

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Tue Mar 22 12:43:03 CDT 2011

On 2011-03-22 Kevin McGregor wrote:
> Maybe someone can throw in their two cents on this:
>
> I installed vsftpd on my Ubuntu 10.04 server, and I set
>
> local_enable=YES
> write_enable=YES
>
> When I FTP to the server, I get prompted for a username and password,
> but it seems to just reject it and ask for username/password again.
> What else do I need to do? I just want one account to be able to FTP
> upload files to this server.

Ah, you're assuming it's easy.  Vsftp config is for sure not that!

Here's my config:
anonymous_enable=NO
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
local_umask=0002
dirmessage_enable=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
xferlog_std_format=YES
idle_session_timeout=3600
nopriv_user=ftp
ascii_upload_enable=YES
ascii_download_enable=YES
ftpd_banner=This is a private system.  Unauthorized use is strictly
prohibited.  Violators will prosecuted.
pam_service_name=vsftpd
userlist_enable=YES
userlist_deny=NO
userlist_file=/etc/vsftpd/user_list
listen=YES
tcp_wrappers=YES
chroot_local_user=YES
anon_max_rate=50000
local_max_rate=100000
anon_umask=0007
file_open_mode=0666
user_config_dir=/etc/vsftpd/userconfs

Then make a /etc/vsftpd/user_list and populate it with allowed user ids
for login.  One per line.  Mine only has 2 entries (the more locked
down the better).

Then make files, one per user allowed, the filename the same as the
username in /etc/vsftpd/userconfs/.  I have 1 line in each:
local_root=/var/ftp/pub

Or wherever you want them to be able to access.