[RndTbl] RAIDing swap

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed May 11 11:33:55 CDT 2011

Further to last night's discussion: I always RAID1 swap when I do RAID1
setups.  If you don't RAID your swap, and 1 disk dies, and any swap
space is being used, then your system *will* crash when it next does a
page-in from swap.  It may even crash on the next page-out.

RAID1 on swap increases your uptime and survivability substantially.

If all you care about is data integrity and don't care about uptime and
a crash/reboot cycle (ie: a simple home machine), then yes, not raiding
swap would be acceptable.  You would gain a performance advantage.