[RndTbl] Request for SNMP help

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Thu May 12 21:15:06 CDT 2011

Do you have any mibs installed? Usually in /usr/share/snmp/mibs. It sounds
like your system can't find the MIB files, or aren't using them.

The mib files are the rules that translate the name, such as system or
IP-MIB::ipAdEntIfIndex, to an OID like .1.3.1.6.1....
http://mibdepot.comis a great place to find mibs, but you should be
able to resolve system and
stuff under IP-MIB without any vendor specific mibs.

In your snmpwalk command, try adding -m ALL to load all mibs, or passing in
a directory with -M. It might be that you need to install the files.
Stracing the process (strace -e trace=file indexmaker ....) might give you
an idea of where it's looking for the mibs. Look for a file called
IP-MIB.txt, which is where ipAdEntIfIndex is defined.

All that said, unless you're going to graph a couple of items and never plan
to graph anything more, stay away from MRTG. Cacti is a lot friendlier.

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/