[RndTbl] RAID5 rebuild performance

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:53:34 CDT 2011

I installed Ubuntu Server 10.04.2 LTS AMD64 on a HP ProLiant ML370 G3 (4 x
dual-core/hyperthreaded Xeon 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM) and I used the on-board
SCSI controller to manage 8 x 300 GB 15K RPM SCSI drives in a software RAID
5 set up as a 7-drive array with 1 hot-spare drive. All drives are the exact
same model with the same firmware version.

It's currently rebuilding the array (because I just created the array) and
/proc/mdstat is reporting "finish=165.7min speed=25856K/sec". Does that
sound "right" in the sense that it's the right order of magnitude? I though
it should be higher, but I haven't set up such an array before, so I don't
have anything to compare it to.

If it's slow, does anyone have a suggestion for speeding it up?

Kevin