[RndTbl] RAID5 rebuild performance

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu May 19 14:12:06 CDT 2011

Look back in dmesg output for the RAID module speed tests, notice which one was selected, and divide that number by 2.  There's your theoretical bottleneck on the CPU.
Take the minimum sustained disk/channel/controller throughput, factor in interrupt latency, device driver efficiency, etc. and make a rough guess as to the overall throughput.
Consider that md code seems to have a lot of write barriers for safety -  so even a rebuild will aspens much of its time waiting for the disk to sync().
All in all, I think your numbers are probably reasonable.
-Adam