[RndTbl] RAID5 rebuild performance

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Fri May 20 17:08:05 CDT 2011

In any event, yes, a single U320 bus can only do 320MB in aggregate, and its practical limit is around 80% of that.  HP's external enclosures are not exactly notorious for being well-balanced equipment...
Only one model in any given product generation will be a single-bus design, that's the economy model.
On a Sun E450 with Ultra-II (40MB/sec) drives, the system backplane is engineered so that no more than 4 drives are connected to any one channel, for example.
Generally speaking, the 4-disk per channel limit is sound engineering.
There's also a curious effect that I've seen but can't explain where more spindles actually slows down the array drastically... I suspect if you recreate that array as RAID 50, you'd see performance gains.
-Adam