[RndTbl] Hybrid Flash+HDD - FYI

Dan Martin ummar143 at shaw.ca
Sat May 21 12:52:33 CDT 2011

I hadn't heard about hybrid drives.  Sounds like the cache that many mechanical drives have, but much larger than the typical 16 or 32 MB.

Is there a way of making your own hybrid?  It would be nice to have a 32GB SSD (or several in a RAID) that would act as a cache to slower drives.  Some logic would be needed to ensure that the most stale info is written to the mechanical HD when resources were available.

If the SSD array was sufficiently large, a cron job to periodically back it up to mechanical HD would be adequate.

The best solution would be a hardware device that would transparently use a SSD array as cache to a mechanical array.  Does such a thing exist?

-Dan