[RndTbl] Need help with serial connection

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Mon May 30 10:49:02 CDT 2011

According to http://www.sun.com/servers/rsc.html, "You must install and
configure RSC on the supported platforms prior to using RSC."

This machine was not bought new from Sun, so I don't know how the boot PROM
is configured.

I booted the machine with one (or more) of my cable combinations and only
got some output once, with the cyan Cisco cable!

I tried all of the port and cable combinations I could think of, but I still
seem to get no response. I have what looks like a Sun cable (labelled
530-3623-01 Rev.53 MEI 0803) with an adapter (RJ-45 to RS-232 25-pin), but I
only have 9-pin ports available. I have a RJ-45 to 9-pin adapter, but it may
not have the required pins connected.

So, yeah, if you have a real Sun cable and it has a 9-pin connector, I would
love to try that!

Just to be clear, I haven't even seen any boot diagnostic output ever on
this machine, and there is no framebuffer installed. If I was even getting
the diagnostic output, I'd be thrilled.

Kevin