[RndTbl] Compiling (C) software for Solaris 10

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Nov 9 15:20:33 CST 2011

There is no functional C compiler in Solaris.  (There exists one that is exactly adequate for relinking the kernel, and that’s it.)

To get Sun’s C compiler, you need PWB – Programmer’s WorkBench.  I think it has a new name… yup, “Solaris Studio”, and you no longer have to pay for it.  It’s a lot more than just a command-line compiler.

Or just download gcc from  <http://www.sunfreeware.com> www.sunfreeware.com, which you’ll probably have to do anyway since most open-source software Makefiles aren’t happy with Sun’s compiler.  Note, see  <http://www.sunfreeware.com/faq.html#q4> http://www.sunfreeware.com/faq.html#q4.

If you have the Solaris Companion CD/DVD that came with some versions of Solaris, gcc may be on the disc, probably in a package called SFWgcc.  The Sun Freeware Collection and associated webpages appear to have died a typical Oracle death since the acquisition, so I can’t tell if it even exists for Solaris 10 or not.

Most people wind up installing the sunfreeware.com packages, AFAIK… they stay somewhat up to date, whereas the SFW* packages on the Sun CD are static and typically don’t get updated until the next major release of Solaris.

-Adam Thompson

 <mailto:athompso at athompso.net> athompso at athompso.net