[RndTbl] Shaw Broadband 50

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 5 16:38:34 CDT 2011

I was an Shaw Extreme user and decided to try out Broadband 50. It turns out
that Extreme customers can upgrade to Broadband 50 at no additional cost.

They use a SMCDG3N  a DOCSIS 3.0 N wireless router. Very nice specs including
IPv6 support.  http://www.smc.com/files/AN/DS_SMCD3GN-RES.pdf

Shaw mails out the modem. Of course the first thing when I got it was how do I
get my 2nd IP address. If you want to use 2 IP addresses then Shaw turns off the
router and wireless function. So it is a modem with a 4 port Gig switch. This is
how I am running it.

I did a test at speedtest.net  got 48.64Mbps down and 2.87Mbps up which is
pretty close to 50Mbps down and 3Mbps up.

-- Bill