[RndTbl] Question: downloading Youtube videos

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Oct 17 13:55:05 CDT 2011

> 	I'm thinking it's because I'm using 64bit hardware and
> drivers.
>
> 				Later
> 				Mike

That shouldn't make any difference unless there are bugs in either a) the
64-bit Linux Flash module [if you even have it - probably not yet], or b)
the 64-bit drivers for your sound card, which would be immediately obvious
in other applications.

My guess is that you've got the download helper application set to
automatically transcode the FLV into something more common, like MP4 or
AVI or similar, and the transcoding parameters are wrong.  [Or c) a bug in
the transcoding library]

1. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
through the flash plugin on another operating system?
2. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
through the flash plugin when running a 32-bit linux LiveCD?  (Ubuntu
LiveCD will let you install Flash, FYI.  Not sure what others will.)
3. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
through the flash plugin under 64-bit linux?
4. Try just saving the FLV as-is, then playing it back with VLC.  See if
the audio sounds crappy there.
5. Now try manually transcoding it to WMV/AVI/MP4/whatever.  Does the
problem happen here?
6. Lastly, try your favourite downloading tool again.  Is this where the
audio problem happens?  If so, use a different tool or figure out what
settings are set wrong.

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net