[RndTbl] Question: downloading Youtube videos

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:08:12 CDT 2011

On 11-10-17 01:55 PM, Adam Thompson wrote:
>> 	I'm thinking it's because I'm using 64bit hardware and
>> drivers.
>>
>> 				Later
>> 				Mike
>
> That shouldn't make any difference unless there are bugs in either a) the
> 64-bit Linux Flash module [if you even have it - probably not yet], or b)
> the 64-bit drivers for your sound card, which would be immediately obvious
> in other applications.

	Possible...

> My guess is that you've got the download helper application set to
> automatically transcode the FLV into something more common, like MP4 or
> AVI or similar, and the transcoding parameters are wrong.  [Or c) a bug in
> the transcoding library]

	Likely. With point c there are two libraries. They are ffmpeg and mencoder.

> 1. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
> through the flash plugin on another operating system?

	I haven't tried yet. However I have noticed the same distortion when I
have two sounds playing at the same time.

> 2. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
> through the flash plugin when running a 32-bit linux LiveCD?  (Ubuntu
> LiveCD will let you install Flash, FYI.  Not sure what others will.)

	I'll give it a try and respond again this evening.

> 3. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
> through the flash plugin under 64-bit linux?

	No. I can play the clips through Youtube in Firefox with no distortion.

> 4. Try just saving the FLV as-is, then playing it back with VLC.  See if
> the audio sounds crappy there.

	Thought I tried it but I may have changed the settings. I'll try it
when I get back.

> 5. Now try manually transcoding it to WMV/AVI/MP4/whatever.  Does the
> problem happen here?

	I have a couple of transcoding tools. I'll try it and get back to you.

> 6. Lastly, try your favourite downloading tool again.  Is this where the
> audio problem happens?  If so, use a different tool or figure out what
> settings are set wrong.

	The more I think about it the more I think this is a possibility too.

> -Adam Thompson
>   athompso at athompso.net

	Someone in the newsgroups this morning suggested I try keepyoutube. All
you have to do is add "keep" in front of the URL of the clip on youtube
and select the format. I tried this once and it worked. This is why I'm
now thinking it may be a transcoding issue.

				Later
				Mike