[RndTbl] Question: downloading Youtube videos

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:36:20 CDT 2011

On 11-10-17 01:55 PM, Adam Thompson wrote:
>> 	I'm thinking it's because I'm using 64bit hardware and
>> drivers.
>>
>> 				Later
>> 				Mike
>
> That shouldn't make any difference unless there are bugs in either a) the
> 64-bit Linux Flash module [if you even have it - probably not yet], or b)
> the 64-bit drivers for your sound card, which would be immediately obvious
> in other applications.
>
> My guess is that you've got the download helper application set to
> automatically transcode the FLV into something more common, like MP4 or
> AVI or similar, and the transcoding parameters are wrong.  [Or c) a bug in
> the transcoding library]
>
> 1. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
> through the flash plugin on another operating system?
> 2. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
> through the flash plugin when running a 32-bit linux LiveCD?  (Ubuntu
> LiveCD will let you install Flash, FYI.  Not sure what others will.)
> 3. Does the audio sound crappy when listening to the clip in a browser
> through the flash plugin under 64-bit linux?
> 4. Try just saving the FLV as-is, then playing it back with VLC.  See if
> the audio sounds crappy there.
> 5. Now try manually transcoding it to WMV/AVI/MP4/whatever.  Does the
> problem happen here?
> 6. Lastly, try your favourite downloading tool again.  Is this where the
> audio problem happens?  If so, use a different tool or figure out what
> settings are set wrong.
>
> -Adam Thompson
>   athompso at athompso.net

	If'n it ain't the darndest thing... I checked out everything and all
the things were loaded in the 64bit side. I couldn't get the sound
working at all in the 32bit LXDE side (it did work with the loaner I had
while I had this motherboard replaced). Then I thought "what if" and
then disabled the onboard sound. it worked initially in the 64bit side,
but still get nothing in 32 bit. Go figure... I tried downloading
another clip and the problem was back. The only difference was Firefox
was running. Turning off Firefox solved the problem. Even the conversion
works properly now.

	I have two things I can show the client on Friday. If I can get
Minitube working I'll have three. ;-)

				Later
				Mike