[RndTbl] VT-d

Daryl F wyatt at prairieturtle.ca
Wed Sep 14 20:01:15 CDT 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Trevor Cordes wrote:

> Further to the meeting discussion, here's more of my thoughts on lack of
> VT-d support.
>
> Many of the myriad Intel CPU SKUs lack various misc features (without much
> rhyme or reason IMHO).
>
> Many CPUs specifically lack VT-d support.  Notably, in the i7 line, the
> "K" suffix CPUs lack VT-d.
>
> See:
> http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-%288M-Cache-3_40-GHz%29
>
> look under "advanced technologies" and you'll see VT-d is "No".
>
> I'd check once again on both your invoice and in the BIOS to see if your
> CPU # ends in a K and/or if your CPU # when looked up on Intel's site has
> "No" for VT-d.

Trever, you are dead on. The one I have is the 2600K. After our discussion
I found http://ark.intel.com/MySearch.aspx?VTD=true which shows which ones
are VT-d capable.

It's interesting that the recommended channel price for the i7-2600K is
$317 while the i7-2600 with no suffix is $294 and has similiar specs but
includes VT-d and TXT.

-Daryl