[RndTbl] Revision control

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Sep 30 05:51:29 CDT 2011

Following up to last month's meeting topic, I'm wondering if anyone can
help me choose a revision control system for my purposes.

It'll be 2 developers (possibly more later, but always a small number).

We'll share access into 1 box, but I'm thinking we'd prefer a system
that lets us check out the complete source tree to our own dev boxes
where we can code, and then merge back up changes.

Also, it would be great if we could have a way to check out the current
project into a dir that would then serve directly to the web (it's a
php project).  For example, I'd want a copy to dev on, the other guy
would have a copy, and a 3rd copy (possibly older) would be the live
web site.  When commits are shown to be good, we'd check out into the
live site.  Hope that makes sense.

I'm thinking CVS or subversion.  I'm not sure this small project (maybe
30k lines of code) warrants the strangeness of git.  Anything else I'm
missing?  I'd love to hear the pros/cons.