[RndTbl] Revision control

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Fri Sep 30 09:30:44 CDT 2011

I'd still suggest git. It's really not that strange unless you want it to
be.

The best reason I can give is the ease of branching and merging. Even if
you're one developer, it's a great thing to have. You can easily manage
parallel streams, such as adding a new feature, stopping, and making a
change in your production version, then going back to your feature branch
(and pulling in your production changes)

When I started building smallpayroll.ca  I used SVN. As I started adding
bigger and bigger features I needed to branch.
http://ertw.com/blog/2009/08/27/svn-merge/ are the instructions I came up
with to figure that out. It was evil. Git is just so much easier in that
respect.

I eventually migrated to git and love it. It makes sense. The learning curve
was not that bad. It's efficient on my time -- I hardly spend any time
thinking about version control.

Now that I've got other people working on it it's easy enough to keep on top
of their changes and to share stuff.

Even though git will work between developer workstations without the need of
a server, I'd suggest running something like gitolite. It's a breeze to set
up and it makes things a bit easier to share because everyone points to one
server.

Git will also happily do what you're trying to do in production. You'd just
clone a copy and pull changes as needed. Since the cost of branching/merging
is near zero, you can choose to deploy from master or another branch,
depending on how you want your workflow to be.

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/