[RndTbl] system loses time

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Dec 12 17:26:01 CST 2012

On 2012-12-11 Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> Rather than changing the grub2 configuration, I think you can make
> that clocksource change permanent by adding the following line to
> /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> devices.system.clocksource.clocksource0.current_clocksource = "hpet"

I never could find docs on sysctl.conf and whether it applies to /proc
or /sys or both and/or why we even split up /proc and /sys!  All the
stuff in my sysctl.conf is for /proc only.  I didn't know you could
specify /sys stuff and/or how to do it.

I'm sure it makes sense to someone and is documented somewhere...

PS the system in question has kept perfect time since the last post and
even updated its drift file (-16).