[RndTbl] Even Americans don't like ASCII anymore...

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu Dec 20 10:20:41 CST 2012

It would appear that your attached images were embedded in the old
"uuencode" format, rather than as a multi-part MIME-formatted message,
which is what all modern mailers use.

In any case, if anyone else replies to the previous messages in this
thread, please, please, please delete the freakin' encoded text before
hitting Send!  As moderator, I don't want to be in the position of
having to approve all of those replies for being larger than the limit size.

Gilbert

On 2012-12-20 10:09, Adam Thompson wrote:
> No idea what happened... my phone shows the same thing.  I've noticed that a few times lately (not my emails) and each time the anomaly has been limited to the phone.  I'm hoping that's the case here.
> -Adam
>
> Tim Lavoie <tim at fractaldragon.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey Adam,
>>
>> Speaking of hard to read, did you mangle the attachment? From my phone at least, it looks like the pics are pasted in as text.
>>
>>   Cheers,
>>   Tim
>>
>> On 2012-12-19, at 18:33, "Adam Thompson" <athompso at athompso.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently even the American federal government doesn't think it needs to
>>> be limited to the ASCII character set any more...
>>>
>>> Go to http://www.tsa.gov/expedited-screening and take a close look at the
>>> URL it redirects you to.  See attached screenshots of Chrome, Mozilla and
>>> IE under Win7 for a great illustration of why you shouldn't do this.
>>>
>>> ARGH.
>>>
>>> Oh, and the icing on the cake is that their website won't *quite* fit into
>>> a 1024-pixel-wide browser window.  Travelers with 14" laptop screens are
>>> apparently no longer expected to visit the USA!
>>>
>>> -Adam Thompson
>>> athompso at athompso.net
>>>
>>> begin 666 tsa-chrome.png
... [truncated] ...