[RndTbl] CIRA IDN - got it right

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Feb 2 11:50:41 CST 2012

I agree that their proposed reservation system seems workable.  However, I’m trying to come up with an example where diacritics alter the meaning of a word.  There are relatively few examples of homonyms that differ by diacritics, and the majority appear to be conjunctions or adjectives that would not typically be found in a domain name.

For example,

Sur = above/on top of

Sûr = sure/certain

(«www.sur.ca» does exist, BTW)

The only noun I’ve found so far is matin/mâtin, where there does exist a «matin.qc.ca» – and presumably a specialty dog breeder might want «mâtin.qc.ca».

I know we have several francophones & francophiles reading this list, surely someone must be able to come up with a better example?

What I find interesting is that every single homonym I’ve checked has lead to a domain-squatting page.  What does *that* tell you about the current system?!

-Adam Thompson

athompso at athompso.net

(204) 291-7950 - direct

(204) 489-6515 - fax