[RndTbl] FW: CIRA consultation on accented domain names

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sat Jan 21 03:02:32 CST 2012

On 2011-09-22 Adam Thompson wrote:
> CIRA, the .ca domain registrar, is proposing to allow a restricted
> subset of IDNs (Internationalized Domain Names) in order to support
> accented French characters in domain names.

(Another super late reply)

I read through a few pages of the end-user comments on the link
provided and I am very happy to see that:

a) Canadians that bothered to comment appear extremely intelligent,
intelligible, and sensible

and

b) it was virtually unanimous that accents were a bad idea or had
to be implemented extremely carefully.

My big concern was making domain spoofing even easier, like registering
[accented e]bay.ca and then stealing passwords.  With the tiny size of
fonts I use, I'd be screwed if I had to differentiate between the
variations of e.  Not to mention my IBM clicky keyboard has no accented
chars and I have no idea whatsoever how to input them using alternate
methods!

It will be interesting to see how this plays out now that the commenting
is closed.  Hopefully they'll listen to the excellent user
contributions.