[RndTbl] wireless basics

Sean Cody sean at tinfoilhat.ca
Sat Jan 21 18:21:14 CST 2012

In short every Ethernet device that expects to be addressable on an ethernet will have a MAC address.  The device will then use the ARP protocol to turn MAC addresses into IP addresses (and vice versa for RARP). Then things will look as you expect.  You need a MAC to be a node on an Ethernet that is to send an receive frames for and to yourself.   Cheap switches and some 'invisible' routers do not because they do not participate in the network they just act as a bridge (which is a other type of device) between two networks.  They use MAC addresses to differentiate items on the switch but don't need their own because they are not an addressable node on the network.  You don't pass traffic _to_ them but _through_ them.

An access point like the airport express is almost exactly the same as your Linux gateway.
A router is the same.  In a wireless access point you transceive Ethernet frames into wireless ethernet frames and vice versa.  Everything operates as you expect but encapsulated in a wireless radio protocol.

This whole WAN LAN is unnecessarily confusing.  A commodity router's WAN port is an uplink to your ISP.  It is still a LAN port just is expected to uplink outside.

In 'bridge' mode a device is only concerned with forwarding frames so any other services the device has is turned off (like dhcp and nat).  Most wireless access points are bridges and if they have dhcp/nat/firewall features they get called wireless routers.  Most wireless routers can be configured 'down' to being access points and not necessarily vice versa.

Anyways, hope that helps.

--
Sean (mobile)