[RndTbl] NFSv4 locking problem

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Mar 30 09:22:21 CDT 2012

On 2012-03-30 Adam Thompson wrote:
> Dunno.  I've actually gone back to v3 everywhere I use nfs because v4
> just seems too hard to make work properly with Linux.

v4's worked great for me for many years now.  It's MUCH better to have
v4 and locking support as things like OO(calc) won't run on files on
NFS without locking.  They just hang, hence why I switched.  I want my
FS to "just work" without "well it mostly works" hassles.

v4 is a major endeavor to setup.  It's triply hard if you want to run a
strict iptables on both client & server because it uses 30 million
ports (seemingly) and by default they are random!  But, you can specify
ports for everything and eventually make it work.  Probably the hardest
part is figuring out from the crap/non-existent docs which daemons need
to be run on client vs server.  I still don't understand it all.  But I
have it working!