[RndTbl] time off by 1 hour

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Tue Nov 20 10:41:54 CST 2012

On 2012-11-20 08:51, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> I have a rarely-on (media player) linux box that since the daylight
> savings changeover (I think) always boots with the time off by 1 hour.
> (I think it thinks it's 1 hour later than it really is.)
>
> It's a modern(ish) Fedora 16 with the latest updates.  I can set the
> clock correctly manually or with ntpdate and all is fine until reboot.
> Then it's wrong again.  I am running ntpd on it to set the clock using
> my own internal ntpd server that does keep correct time.  I did check
> that the timezone was set to Americas/Winnipeg and the daylight savings
> stuff all looks correct.  I use "system clock is set to GMT".
>
> Such a silly problem, and I'm stumped!

I don't think ntpdate and ntpd modify the system clock, only the runtime
clock.  So, my guess is that the two clocks are not in synch.  Normally,
RedHat-ish systems (including Fedora) write back the runtime clock
setting to the system clock on shutdown, but perhaps this isn't
happening for some reason.

Try the hwclock command with the appropriate options to see what the
system clock is actually set at, and if it's different than what's
reported by the date command, use hwclock to write the runtime clock to
the system clock.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/