[RndTbl] ZFS on Linux + Swap

Robert Keizer robert at keizer.ca
Fri Apr 26 16:55:54 CDT 2013

In case you ever found yourself needing swap while you're running the
third party ZFS module for Linux, read on.

Assuming all your disks are ZFS, doing a standard "dd if=/dev/zero
of=./file bs=1024k count=4096 && mkswap file && swapon file" doesn't work.

Why, I don't know - and I don't really care at the moment.

Solution: "loop=`losetup -f` && dd if=/dev/zero of=./file bs=1024k
count=4096 && mkswap file && losetup $loop file && swapon $loop".

Go figure that piping it through a loopback device works just fine.

+1 for compiz taking 1.7gb of ram.
+1 for 5 VirtualBox windows images at 2gb per segfaulting with 12gb of
system ram.

Gah.