[RndTbl] UPS batteries

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sun Feb 3 22:01:51 CST 2013

> We've had several APC Smart UPS'es fail catastrophically and without
> warning.  In one case, a 2200VA unit literally caught on fire!

I've seen 15-20 year old SmartUPS's catch on fire (always the front
circuit board).  The ones that don't flame up still have heat burn
marks on the front circuit board.  Must be a design flaw.

The SmartUPS 1500's from 10 years ago until now (once they started
being black) are working 100% OK for me at 10 client sites (including
my own).  Never a failure.  Just make sure you replace the batteries as
soon as it tells you or it starts failing in weird ways.  It's still my
UPS of choice.

I'll check out the other brands you guys mention.  Eaton is a well
known company.  Like you said though, it's not until 2-5 years later
that you learn your UPS is crap.