[RndTbl] [*] Re-use Vonage SIP ATA's for general SIP use

Dan Keizer ve4drk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 07:55:00 CST 2013

Well, some others may have different experiences than me, but it's
certainly alot easier and less pain to work with unlocked devices.

The ATA's will be using SIP -- even Rogers One Number that they are
advertising uses SIP (in their software and devices) - they just allocate
another DID for the device.  Seems like they want to try to offer services
LIKE google voice here in Canada. (Oh, one day maybe!)

Those locked ATA devices from what I've seen just lock up the VoIP web
pages.  Some have had success in the past with certain types of devices for
getting them unlocked, but it is an experience -- seems there is one or two
guys on a forum who can unlock it for you remotely.  I've never had any
luck with unlocking one device I picked up, but had luck with another.
You are right, that if you reset the device, some will relock themselves
again and you have to go through the process of unlocking it again.

Personal opinion - it's not worth your time -- that is, unless you have the
time to put into it for interests sake :-)  You can buy ATA devices fairly
cheap these days - and Les sells them locally for good prices.

The technology hasn't changed much and there's interesting services being
built with the telco interfacing -- so fun is key to making it worthwhile.
:-)

Dan.