[RndTbl] OpenVPN Default Route

Paul Sierks psierks at sierkstech.net
Fri Jun 14 15:32:41 CDT 2013

Thought I would pose this question to you all, I've got OpenVPN setup
between two systems and they are able to communicate back and fourth,
ping 10.8.0.1 and 10.8.0.6 for example works as well. I'm trying to get
the client to use the vpn as the default route, EXCEPT for traffic that
has been sent to its public address on eth0 in my case, which needs to
be sent out the same way and not take the vpn route. From what I've
read, I should and have enabled ip_forwarding and iptable postrouting
masquerade on the vpn server to permit internet bound traffic. Makes
sense. But everything I try (ip rules, etc) on the client to make it
route that way causes it not to be reachable directly via its public ip,
or not able to reach the vpn server anymore, etc. So if anyone has any
insight to my situation I'd really appreciate any help.