[RndTbl] Load-balancing / dual-WAN / multi-WAN routers or other solutions

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Fri Mar 29 05:41:02 CDT 2013

Now THIS should get a discussion going.  What's the latest on
load-balancing / dual-WAN / multi-WAN routers?  I only see two kinds - some
very old D-Link (DI-LB604) and Cisco (RV042, RV082, RV016) models, and
quite a few current models from completely unheard of Oriental companies.

My actual purpose would be failover redundancy (between my two Internets,
namely MTS and Shaw) at least as much as, or more so, than load balancing,
but there might as well be load balancing too, since both Internets are up
almost all the time.

I'm also somewhat interested in hearing about other related solutions (like
a separate computer with multiple NIC's for multi-WAN, and special Linux,
acting as a router) if no suitable router exists (or if such a router costs
too much).  Hmmm, Raspberry Pi just has one network port, right?

Hartmut Sager