[RndTbl] Summer project

Colin Stanners cstanners at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 11:01:58 CDT 2013

-Routers have options to be forced to run only G, only N, or auto select
G/N based on the client. Most wireless chipsets will automatically select
the best protocol based on signal level and RF environment. There is the
option to flash a highly-featured OS like DD/OpenWRT for more control,
although most Dlinks use a chipset that's less supported.

-Usually N protocol should have more range than G, if not it's likely a
router bug, in that case setting your router to run everything G-only will
only cost you performance.

-Wireless range extension is a bad idea - the only somewhat-good way is to
have an extender with 2 radios on different frequencies. If you try to to
do it with a device with one radio, throughput is cut in at least half
because the radio is receiving and transmitting the same data, often it's
cut more because that radio's transmissions are causing retransmittions at
your main AP and vice-versa.

-Best option to extend wireless range is a second AP on a different channel
wired to the first, or increase the antenna size or directionality at your
main AP.

-Are you sure you found cards with a chipset that's not supported under
Win7? There's only like a dozen different series of chipsets, you may need
to find a driver from a supported card from a different brand with the same
chipset.

-Atheros is generally the best wifi chipset. Cards can be gotten online or
at MX very cheaply.

-If you're doing testing, won't the machines be next to each other? If so
gigabit equipment is the same price as wifi and gives you 6-15x the speed
of N wifi equipment for the same price; even much more when you consider
total intranetwork speed.